Followers

Monday 24 November 2014

Advent Journal

Hi Bloggers

How is your week going? We were really  lucky  to get tickets to see Michael McIntyre later this week so we have to look forward to. It is a show to try out material so the venue is smaller than normal.

This post is something a little different for me, I have created a journal. I went a service at church that was led by Hopeweavers (a local organisation that leads quiet days and times of reflection often with a craft element) and we were given the chance to create an Advent Journal. The idea is to add our thoughts to the journal throughout Advent. There were no rules or restrictions  to what we could do. I decided that I would use it to try a few new craft techniques as well as my thoughts and feelings.

We were given a journal with a black cover. I didn't want to decorate the cover at the service as there was a particular technique that I wanted to try. I used the time there to number the pages.



So here are the starting materials some craft card and a journal with a black cover. I wanted to have a go at the faux leather technique. I found an online tutorial by Sheena Douglass that I followed. The only difference was that I used a decoupage glue to seal the sheet when it was finished.


I was really pleased with how it turned out and I thought I would have to leave it to dry for a long time but I was able to used the card the afternoon I made it. I used die cuts and ribbon to decorate the cover. The embossing folder I used was a 6" x 6" one which I had to extend the design to cover the whole sheet. 


This is the back the logo is the Hopeweavers logo. They have a website you can visit. 

So there you have it my journal for Advent. I am quite looking forward to filling it in. There will be a service in January where we can share our journals if we want to. 

Have a great week.

Happy Crafting 

Hugs Jackie

15 comments:

Linda Simpson said...

This is gorgeous, love the embossed card and lovely colours.
Hugs
Linda xxx

KarinsArtScrap said...

this looks great and fab Jackie
Gr Karin

Laine said...

It looks like leather Jackie. Fabulous embossing and detail.
Laine
xx

pam said...

Fabulous journal Jackie, keep meaning to have a go at doing this..bought the stuff...one day!!!
hugs pam

Brawny x said...

Wow amazing job Jackie. Love the detail you've added x

Kate M said...

What a super project! It looks fabulous.
xx

Andree said...

A fabulous idea Jackie, all too often we let life rush us without proper thought. Your book cover turned out brilliantly and looks fantastic. I hope you enjoy adding your entries and reading them back in the future x

Jackie said...

What a wonderful cover, it looks like tooled leather :o)
Jackie xx

Carole Pollard said...

Wonderful project and really interesting post The cover is amazing looks brilliant hope you enjoy using it love and hugs Carole x

Alison59 said...

What a super idea. Much better than an advent calendar. I hope you enjoy making it :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello Jackie, Wow love your journal a great idea., love the embossing and the lovely colour..

Teighan

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

What a beautiful advent journal. Love the color on the front and the cross on the back. Gorgeous

Unknown said...

Fabulous Jackie and a fabulous idea, hugs xxx

Carole Z said...

Hi Jackie, what a lovely lovely idea and I love the journal you have created..sorry I'm on catch up and am just about to look back on posts I've missed, but thank you so much for your kind words on my blog the other day...so glad we 'setup' on Sam's DT, hugs Carole Z X

Diane Green said...

Hi Jackie this is beautiful. Glad you tried the faux leather technique it's fun isn't it and your hands feel so soft afterwards! Love Diane xx